WFP urgently needs your support to continue its lifesaving operations across the region.
Director, Individual Giving
Director of Development
OVERALL POSITION DESCRIPTION
The Director of Individual Giving will play a crucial role in developing and implementing a strategic plan to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward individual donors at the middle and major gift levels. Reporting to WFP USA’s Director of Development, s/he will lead an individual giving staff to meet team goals and will personally manage a portfolio of major gift donors and prospects. The Director’s work will be critical to the development of new sources of revenue to sustain and expand WFP USA’s global impact.
Relationship Management & Solicitation
- Meet and exceed all Individual giving goals
- Responsible for developing unique engagement opportunities, proposals, and events to upgrade, retain and attract new individual donors
- Manage relationships with a portfolio of current and prospective donors through all phases of the donor pipeline, including cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Ability to effectively manage, develop and mentor individual development staff.
- Lead initiatives to identify and secure new major and planned giving donors.
- Identify gift opportunities that closely align with major donors’ interests and design personalized solicitation and stewardship strategies to increase the number of donations and gift levels.
- Work with individual giving staff to establish short-and long-term annual revenue goals for mid-level, major, and planned giving.
- Develop and implement individual giving strategies that leverage all of WFP USA’s resources and regularly monitor their performance to meet and exceed targets.
- Promote a culture of philanthropy within WFP USA to effectively position the organization as a charitable recipient of choice.
Donor Program Development
- Oversee the development of donor-centric cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship programs for individuals, including mid-level and major gifts, and planned giving
- Work with the Communications and Development teams to ensure that print and online marketing collateral—including newsletters, website, social media, and annual reports—promote giving and recognize donors for their support.
- Oversee and implement a comprehensive donor stewardship program, including meetings, phone calls, letters, email, and events, ensuring that all donors receive personalized communications and all gifts receive prompt and appropriate acknowledgement.
- Conduct regular reviews of the individual giving program and develop timely and evolving strategies for acquiring, renewing, and upgrading donors at all giving levels.
- Create written solicitations, correspondence, acknowledgements, and stewardship reports.
The successful Director of Individual Giving will be a strong leader who combines strategic thinking, energetic relationship-building, and an aptitude for guiding others in the development and implementation of strong fundraising practices. S/he will be adept at building relationships both externally and internally, with donors and volunteers as well as with colleagues on the Finance, Operations, Communications, and Development teams within a large, complex organization. The Director will be passionate about applying all of these skills to WFP USA’s mission, and will be completely comfortable working proactively and energetically with a diverse group of people to advance it.
- 5-10 years of progressively responsible experience in non-profit development.
- At least 3 years in a role with staff management responsibilities.
Knowledge and Experience
- Proven ability to provide strategic direction and daily oversight for a fundraising program while effectively managing a personal portfolio of donors.
- Consistent record of securing 6-figure major gifts; experience securing both major and planned gifts is preferred.
- History of strategic and creative thinking that has demonstrably increased a donor base and revenue.
- Experience successfully managing a staff of mid-level and/or major donor fundraisers to measurably increase performance levels.
- Experience effectively engaging and leveraging leaders, Board members, and senior staff in the fundraising process.
- Understanding of best practices in comprehensive and integrated individual giving programs.
- Familiarity with systems and processes required for major donor portfolio management, from prospect research techniques to best practices for donor acknowledgement and stewardship.
- Experience using fundraising and prospect software/tools to build an individual major giving program. Salesforce preferred.
- Ability to manage confidential information and observe donor privacy protocols.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- CFRE Preferred
Personal Characteristics and Work Style
- Collaborative and team-oriented individual who can engage and motivate others in a wide variety of functions across an organization.
- Articulate and polished in interactions with high-level individuals and groups.
- Excellent speaker, listener, and writer.
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally to cultivate and solicit major donors.
- Strong affinity for WFP USA’s mission and program priorities.
Does this sound like a fit? Please send a cover letter, resume and one writing sample (no more than two pages each) to HR@wfpusa.org. No phone calls or agencies please.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee(s) assigned to this title. This description should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of incumbents holding the position. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed. Further neither this description, nor completion of tasks associated with this title should be construed as a contract of employment. All employees of WFPUSA, unless otherwise designated by the President, are at-will employees.