World Food Program USA is the recognized leader in America’s pursuit to end global hunger, inspiring individuals, businesses and policymakers to do everything in their power to create a zero hunger world.
Consistent with the mission of the United Nations World Food Programme, World Food Program USA works with U.S. policymakers, corporations, foundations and individuals to provide financial and in-kind resources and develop policies needed to alleviate global hunger.
OVERALL POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Accounting Manager will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day implementation of WFP USA’s regular finance and accounting processes and reporting while maintaining accurate and complete records and ensuring compliance with financial policies and controls. The Accounting Manager will be integrally involved in developing, implementing, and monitoring the organization’s financial policies and processes, and works closely with members of the Development and Operations Teams as well as Senior Leadership. The Accounting Manager supervises the Staff Accountant.
The Accounting Manager, under the direction of the Senior Director of Finance and Accounting, will be primarily responsible for all general ledger activities, monthly account reconciliations, record keeping, financial reporting, and preparing weekly, monthly, and quarterly financial statements for management and the Board of Directors.
The Accounting Manager will ensure WFP USA staff adhere to documented policies and procedures and is responsible for maintaining and updating internal controls to support effective program implementation and reporting to ensure efficient and unqualified audits and annual Form 990 preparation. Additionally, the Accounting Manager will play in a key role in enhancing integration of WFP USA’s finance, HR, and IT functions.
- Oversees all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Reconciles key account balances to the general ledger on a monthly basis ensuring accuracy of assigned general ledger accounts. Maintains the Fixed Asset and associated depreciation schedules.
- Reviews payroll data prepared by HR; maintains paid leave schedules and transmits employee retirement data. Records payroll related transactions on the accounting software. Works with HR Manager on payroll activities.
- Performs daily revenue reconciliation between Salesforce, Intacct and third-party payment processors, including gift designation validation. Works cross-functionally with the Development team to maintain accurate balances for outstanding pledge commitments.
- Supports analysis of financial data and in presentation of financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; assure accuracy and distribution of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements.
- Monitors and manages monthly cash flow projections and analysis.
- Prepares month-end and year-end journal entries for financial reporting in accordance with GAAP.
- Prepares documents for annual audits as well as any compliance requirements (for example, quarterly 941, 990) relevant to above duties, as necessary and assigned.
- Maintains internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue and costs, monitors program budgets and actual expenditures.
- Prepare state registration required filings.
- Partners in system refinements and their execution to ensure first class customer service, both internally and externally.
- Supports and collaborates with other Finance and Operations, Development, HR and IT team colleagues as necessary.
- Implements internal control policies and procedures as directed; reviews procedures periodically with the Finance team to ensure eﬀectiveness.
- Complies with organization wide administrate protocols, policies and procedures.
- Supervise the A/P process to ensure vendor payments are made on time to avoid paying penalties or fees, and ensure that all vendors have a copy of WFP USA’s tax exemption certificate so the organization does not pay sales tax, where appropriate.
- Ensure WFP USA staff code invoices to the correct accounts and departments to ensure accurate reporting of expenses against budgeted categories.
- Maintain an orderly and accurate filing system for all processed documents.
- Support the Senior Director of Finance and Accounting in preparing for the annual audit, tax filings, and other required government filings.
- Review and update financial processes for accuracy and recommend regular updates to policies and procedures.
- Supervises the Staff Accountant by setting clear goals, providing timely feedback, and ensuring professional development opportunities.
- Handle or assist in any other duties as assigned.
- 8-10 years of accounting and finance experience, with a focus on GAAP accounting and audit procedures and requirements.
- Have experience in a complex nonprofit that has multiple programs.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to WFP USA’s mission.
- Minimum of a BA in Finance or Accounting; MBA or CPA preferred.
- Proven experience coordinating, general ledger, payroll, and internal and external financial reporting.
- An understanding grants management compliance and reporting of corporate and foundation grants is essential.
- Advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software (Salesforce, Concur, Sage Intaact, and Quickbooks).
- Keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and develop staff.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, with the ability to translate complex financial information to non-financial users.
HOW TO APPLY: Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls or agencies, please.
World Food Program USA is a non-profit organization. This is a full-time position that offers a competitive salary and outstanding benefits. WFP USA is an equal opportunity employer.