Accounts Payable/Receivable Specialist
September 17, 2020
World Food Program USA is the recognized leader in America’s pursuit to end global hunger, inspiring individuals, businesses and policymakers to do everything in their power to create a zero-hunger world. Consistent with the mission of the United Nations World Food Programme, World Food Program USA works with U.S. policymakers, corporations, foundations and individuals to help provide financial and in-kind resources and develop policies needed to alleviate global hunger.
OVERALL POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Staff Accountant will be responsible for the day-to-day processing of accounting transactions and reporting while maintaining accurate and complete records and ensuring compliance with financial policies and controls. The Staff Accountant will be integrally involved in the organization’s financial processes, and works closely with members of the Development and Operations Teams.
The Staff Accountant, under the direction of the Accounting Manager, will be primarily responsible for accounts payable, accounts receivable, reimbursements, monthly account reconciliations, and record keeping.
The Staff Accountant will help ensure WFP USA staff adhere to documented policies and procedures and supports effective program implementation and an efficient and audit and annual Form 990 process.
- Processes full cash disbursement cycle transactions timely, accurately, and according to established policies and procedures, verifying that proper approvals and supporting documentation is submitted for each invoice/expense report and resolving any discrepancies with vendors and staff.
- Coach staff on using Concur, our expense management system, including offering feedback on proper coding and documentation of expenses. Reconciles Concur activity for corporate credit card and oversee the approval process and sync with accounting software.
- Maintains accurate vendor and staff data in the expense reporting system and general ledger.
- Ensure vendor payments are made on time to avoid paying penalties or fees, and ensure that all vendors have a copy of WFP USA’s tax exemption certificate so the organization does not pay sales tax, where appropriate.
- Records cash receipt transactions timely, accurately, and according to established policies and procedures. Works closely with Development team to understand the restrictions for donations received and shares with Development team information on wires and stock donations received on a daily basis.
- Performs monthly bank reconciliations.
- Maintains annual 1099 vendor reconciliation and prepares annual 1099 forms.
- Reconciles key account balances to the general ledger on a monthly basis ensuring accuracy of assigned general ledger accounts.
- Maintains internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue and expenses.
- Supports and collaborates with other Finance and Operations, Development and IT team colleagues as necessary.
- Implements internal control policies and procedures as directed; reviews procedures periodically with the Finance team to ensure eﬀectiveness.
- Proactively supports system and process refinements and their execution to ensure first class customer service, both internally and externally.
- Prepares documents for annual audits as well as any compliance requirements relevant to above duties, as necessary and assigned.
- Support Operations department by monitoring and maintaining office supplies. Liaison with vendors and service providers as needed.
- Complies with organization wide administrate protocols, policies and procedures.
- Assists with special projects and other duties as assigned.
- 2-5 years of accounting and finance experience, with a focus on GAAP accounting and audit procedures and requirements.
- Have experience in a complex nonprofit that has multiple programs.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to WFP USA’s mission.
- Minimum of a BA in Finance or Accounting.
- Proven experience coordinating accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments.
- An understanding grants management as it relates to compliance and reporting of government, corporate and foundation grants is essential.
- Advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software (Salesforce, Concur, Quickbooks, and Intaact).
- Keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, with the ability to translate complex financial information to non-financial users.
HOW TO APPLY: Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls or agencies, please.
World Food Program USA is a nonprofit organization. This is a full-time position that offers a competitive salary and outstanding benefits. WFP USA is an equal opportunity employer.