Chief Philanthropy Officer
Job Location: World Food Program USA – Washington, DC
Remote Type: Hybrid in Washington, DC
Position Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $245,000 – $300,000 /year
Salary Grade Level: 16
Closing Date: 11/20/2023
As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, The Chief Philanthropy Officer (CPO) is responsible for creating and implementing a Development Strategy that includes but is not limited to Development Operations, Institutional Foundations, Major Gifts, Mid-Level Donors, Direct Mail, Planned Giving and Corporate Partnerships. The Chief Philanthropy Officer ensures that WFP USA is well-positioned in a rapidly evolving and competitive environment, that strategies are clearly understood by all stakeholders, and that the Development Office achieves and exceeds its revenue and strategic plan goals. In coordination with the Development team, the CPO plays a direct role in securing significant revenue, actively identifying new business opportunities, and building robust funding pipelines. In addition, the CPO evaluates results to ensure that all organizational objectives are met and align with the needs and mission of WFP USA. The CPO is a role model for our WFP USA values and ensures the values are incorporated into all work plans.
About World Food Program USA
World Food Program USAs values provide the framework for how we behave and work together to reach our goals to feed and save the lives of the most vulnerable people around the world. Those values are:
Collaborative: We are all one team
Accountable: We own our work
Respectful: We are kind to each other
Inclusive: We champion diversity
Optimistic: We have a make it happen attitude
We are looking for applicants who embody these values and are invested in forwarding our mission.
Why Join Us?
- We are a dynamic, forward leaning, financially stable organization.
- You will be joining an effective, committed, high-performing group of colleagues who are well-regarded in the community.
- This position will play a crucial role in aiding the organization in their mission of ending global hunger
- Provide overall strategic direction and management for an integrated development program that includes major gifts, mid-level, direct mail, planned giving, institutional foundation giving, corporate giving, other innovative fundraising approaches including partner engagement events.
- Working with the Development Committee, Board, CEO, and WFP Rome the CPO will develop, implement, and monitor strategic fundraising plans designed to maximize WFP USA’s revenue potential.
- Prospecting research to identify, research, and analyze prospects for major gift cultivation and solicitation.
- Work with senior leaders to establish annual revenue targets and monitor the development department budget for progress against goals, providing regular reports to the Board, CFO/COO and CEO.
- Stay abreast of major opportunities and challenges in the non-profit sector and foster the development of innovative strategies to address them, actively seeking out opportunities for investment, revenue generation and strategic partnerships.
- Leverage partnerships to support all areas of strategic focus, including the brand and advocacy with key policymakers.
- Work collaboratively across divisions and prioritize the highest level of communication and teamwork both internally and with WFP HQ.
- Hire, motivate, manage, and retain a talented development team, fostering a positive and collaborative department culture that inspires staff to meet and exceed targets.
- Set annual individual and team performance goals, conducting regular reviews to evaluate progress and providing professional development opportunities that continually elevate the department’s effectiveness and efficiency.
- Model a high standard of organization-wide collaboration (with Communications, Public Policy, and Operations departments) that advances fundraising and programmatic goals. Understand that adherence to the organizational values is the highest organizational priority.
- Ensure adherence to department and organizational policies and ensure compliance with all conditions, terms and provisions of gifts and requests.
A well-qualified candidate will possess the following: The ideal Chief Philanthropy Officer (CPO) will have a strong background as an executive leader who has motivated staff, worked collaboratively across an organization, and maintained strong relationships internally and externally; who is a strategic thinker experienced at developing, implementing, and overseeing successful fundraising efforts; and who is enthusiastic about using his or her talents to advance the mission and values of WFP USA.
- At least 10 years of leadership experience in private sector fundraising, donor-related marketing and managing teams for success.
- Extensive experience in non-profit organizations is preferred; experience in international development-related organizations will be prioritized.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree is preferred.
- Experience activating organizational board members.
Knowledge and Experience
- Principles and practices of fundraising and marketing as applied to the functions of a development office.
- Experience planning and managing a comprehensive, functionally diverse development department.
- History of strategic planning and creative thinking that has demonstrably increased a donor base and revenue.
- Record of securing large individual, corporate and/or foundation gifts.
- Experience effectively engaging and leveraging leaders, Board members, and senior staff in the fundraising process.
- Knowledge of effective management processes that ensure efficient operation of fundraising programs, including budgeting, data management, personnel and reporting.
- Solid and broad understanding of all aspects of fiscal planning and management.
Personal Characteristics and Work Style
Ability to lead and motivate groups and individuals; to creatively and strategically mediate and negotiate among individuals and groups both internally and externally.
World Food Program USA is a nonprofit organization. This is a full-time position that offers a competitive salary and outstanding benefits. WFP USA is an equal opportunity employer. World Food Program USA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.