Job Location: World Food Program USA, Washington, DC
Position Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $60,000 – $65,000 /year
We are seeking an outgoing, collaborative, creative writer and PR professional to be our Communications Associate. The Communications Associate will help develop and communicate influential and impactful stories of the programs and people supported by the U.N. World Food Programme. The candidate must be an exceptionally strong writer and presenter of ideas and have experience supporting integrated marketing campaigns. The Communications Associate is responsible for supporting the Director, Communications and the Marketing and Communications team to write website content as well as other informative and persuasive communications materials (e.g. op-eds, blogs, media briefers, press releases); build media lists, conduct targeted media outreach and secure placements; support the team’s event planning and other brand awareness initiatives and communications projects as assigned.
- Support the Director, Communications and team in implementing external communications and public relations campaigns.
- Write and produce a range of communications materials, including website content, op-eds, blogs, press releases, media and event briefs.
- Develop comprehensive media lists using Cision database.
- Support, manage and implement media relations, events, and other public relations activities.
- Monitor media coverage, assist with tracking performance metrics for media campaigns, and assist with development of media performance reports/presentations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 1-3 years of relevant work experience in all or most of the functional areas (e.g. writing, media relations, event planning and general communications activities).
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (i.e. public relations/communications, journalism, English, or related field)
- Must live in the greater Washington, DC area or be able to commute to our DC office as needed.
- Experience developing and writing strategic communications materials (e.g. op-eds, blogs, website content, media briefers, press releases, pitch emails).
- Self-starter with the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects at the same time with minimal oversight.
- Extremely organized and detail-oriented; flawless writing and proofreading skills.
- Strong interest in humanitarian assistance, international development or global hunger.
- Media relations expertise, with experience conducting media outreach and securing/coordinating media interviews.