Director, Government Relations
August 13, 2020
World Food Program USA is the recognized leader in America’s pursuit to end global hunger, inspiring individuals, businesses and policymakers to do everything in their power to create a zero hunger world.
Consistent with the mission of the United Nations World Food Programme, World Food Program USA works with U.S. policymakers, corporations, foundations and individuals to help provide financial and in-kind resources and develop policies needed to alleviate global hunger.
OVERALL POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Director of Government Relations will lead the organization’s legislative outreach and collaborate with leadership on WFP USA’s overall policy and advocacy strategy and operations.
- Collaborate with the VP of Public Policy and Advocacy and other team members to advance the organization’s public policy positions with the U.S. Congress and coalition partners:
- Serve as primary WFP USA liaison to Congressional offices.
- Develop strategy to influence legislative staff and members in support of WFP USA’s mission and policy positions.
- Coordinate with and, where appropriate, lead international affairs and global food security advocacy community partners and coalitions on issues related to USG food assistance policy, budgeting and appropriations.
- Communicate developments on Capitol Hill with Public Policy team and work with VP of Public Policy and Senior Policy Advisor to advance the organization’s public policy priorities:
- Participate in development and implementation of the annual Public Policy work plan.
- Track legislative and policy developments on Capitol Hill and Executive Branch activities as they pertain to global hunger.
- Organize, implement, and track Hill meetings for relevant WFP USA and WFP staff and create briefing materials ahead of WFP/USA leadership Hill meetings.
- Provide regular written reports on legislative developments impacting WFP’s funding and operations.
- Lead development and coordination of briefings and other policy and advocacy events.
- Inform and advise WFP USA leadership and Board of Directors on medium and long-term political landscape developments (e.g. upcoming Presidential elections, changes to Congressional make-up and leadership).
- Contribute to development of public policy messaging in collaboration with the Communications Team:
- Formulate key messages to policy stakeholders.
- Contribute to preparation of documents pertaining to legislation, budget/appropriations, and federal programs/policies.
- Develop policy communications materials in collaboration with the Communications Team to engage Members of Congress and staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Deep understanding of Congressional process with at least 5-7 years of experience in congressional affairs and public policy.
- Extensive understanding of and experience with the federal appropriations process.
- Experience developing and advancing federal legislative initiatives and working in coalition.
- Superior relationship building, communications and writing skills.
- Knowledge of and passion for issues related to global hunger, nutrition and international development.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or agencies, please.
World Food Program USA is a nonprofit organization. This is a full-time position that offers a competitive salary and outstanding benefits. WFP USA is an equal opportunity employer.