Regional Major Gift Officer (San Francisco)
World Food Program USA is the recognized leader in America’s pursuit to end global hunger, inspiring individuals, businesses and policymakers to do everything in their power to create a zero hunger world.
Consistent with the mission of the United Nations World Food Programme, World Food Program USA works with U.S. policymakers, corporations, foundations and individuals to help provide financial and in-kind resources and develop policies needed to alleviate global hunger.
OVERALL POSITION DESCRIPTION: World Food Program USA seeks a Regional Major Gift Officer based in San Francisco, California, USA to build a strong, portfolio of donors and prospects capable of giving major ($10,000+), principal, or planned gifts to support the organization’s operations. Reporting to the Director of Individual Giving, the Regional Major Gift Officer conceives and executes strategies to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward individual donors while maintaining relationships with an established portfolio of major donors on the West Coast. The Regional Major Gift Officer is responsible for developing relationships that are focused on connecting major donors to meaningful philanthropic opportunities that further WFP USA’s mission in a manner best matched to the donor.
- Relationship Building & Solicitation
- Develop a portfolio of major gift donors
- Cultivate meaningful relationships with current WFP USA donors with a focus on securing renewals, upgraded gifts, and multi-year commitments where appropriate.
- Identify and solicit donors for annual major contributions ($10,000+) to WFP USA for general operations and other priority projects.
- Work with Development Associate(s) to qualify individuals as major gift prospects through research and direct contact.
- Create individual action plans for personalized donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Track all moves and actions in the CRM.
- In cooperation with the Individual Giving team, develop and/or recommend timely, high-impact content and programming for major donors making strategic use of WFP USA leadership and WFP colleagues, as appropriate. This could include specialized online and offline content, regional donor receptions, intimate major donor gatherings, exclusive briefings, and more.
- Cultivate and expand current giving by integrating planned gift objectives into major donor funding requests.
MONITORING & REPORTING
- Using the CRM, track and report on moves management activity including identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of prospective and current major donors.
- Share detailed activity reports with the Individual Giving team on a regular basis.
MAJOR GIFTS STRATEGY
- Build a major gifts program
- Work with the Vice President of Development and Director of Individual Giving to design and execute short-, immediate-, and long-term individual major gifts strategies for growing a base of support primarily in California, Oregon, and Washington.
- Participate in internal prospect review and donor stewardship meetings.
- Other duties as assigned
- Relevant bachelor’s degree
- Experience in sales or fundraising (5+ years preferred), with a proven track record of closing five, six, and seven figure gifts
- Demonstrated ability to meet set fundraising goals
- Demonstrated ability to act quickly and effectively while juggling multiple projects, responsibilities, and tasks
- Excellent relationship building skills and customer focus
- Strong presence over the phone and in person
- Must have an entrepreneurial and proactive mindset with the ability to work under minimal supervision
- Must have a team player mentality
- Ability to manage confidential information and observe donor privacy protocols
- Experience with a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system, Salesforce preferred
- Passion for our shared vision of creating a world with zero hunger preferred
- Must have a current driver’s license and an appetite to travel
- Experience in a startup-like environment a bonus
- Expected travel, at least 50%
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls or agencies, please.
World Food Program USA is a nonprofit organization. This is a full-time position that offers a competitive salary and outstanding benefits. WFP USA is an equal opportunity employer.