Senior Associate of Direct Response
Job Location: World Food Program USA – Washington, DC
OVERALL POSITION DESCRIPTION
This position will serve as a member of our Philanthropy team with a focus on managing and growing direct response programs for core (low-dollar) and mid-level donors. The Senior Associate, Direct Response will be part of a larger, comprehensive team effort to acquire, upgrade, engage, and renew core and mid-level donors through a variety of channels.
The Senior Associate will oversee aspects of the planning and execution of a robust program of integrated multi-channel fundraising for mid-level and core donors, including direct mail donor acquisition, solicitation, upgrade/renewal, cultivation, and stewardship. The position is accountable for meeting or exceeding specific financial goals and works in close collaboration with Marketing and Communications, Policy, and a full-service external direct response agency to achieve those goals.
- Work in partnership with the Director and an external, full-service direct response agency to develop and implement strategies for direct mail donor acquisition, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Work in close collaboration to achieve shared goals for: new donor acquisition; mid-level donor solicitation and stewardship; monthly donor recruitment and upgrading; and donor retention.
- Manage the direct mail production calendar and ensure that all production steps and deliverables are achieved and delivered on schedule. Maintain a system for archiving creative samples.
- Schedule and facilitate creative briefings between WFP staff and our agency creative team.
- Serve as the primary day-to-day contact between WFP USA and our direct response agency for issues relating to the timely and accurate production of our direct mail. Includes running weekly production and monthly strategy meetings with our agency partners and internal stakeholders.
- In partnership with our direct response agency and internal staff, develop audience segmentation, list selection requirements, and testing objectives and strategies.
- Track and analyze the response to our direct response efforts and apply the learning to future efforts.
- Produce occasional reports.
- Monitor costs; process invoices; and proactively identify and resolve potential cost overruns.
- Manage upload processes to ensure data integrity
- Facilitate the sharing of information about upcoming mailings with relevant departments within the organization.
- Work with vendors to pull all lists and manage related vendor relationships.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Passion for our shared vision of creating a world with zero hunger preferred
- Commitment to a donor-centric framework that honors the donor journey from first to ultimate gift, and the many ways donors engage with and support WFP USA
- 1-3 years of experience in development communications. Experience executing direct mail initiatives, ideally within a fundraising or membership department, preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
Knowledge and Experience
- Familiarity with the practices and techniques of direct response marketing and fundraising.
- Familiarity with Salesforce or other CRM
- Prior experience managing budgets and relationships with external consultants.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong editorial skills and a proof-reader’s eye for detail.
- Demonstrated ability to manage workflow processes & schedules.
- Ability to coordinate input from multiple stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Experience with Microsoft Office with significant knowledge of Excel and Access.
- Occasional travel to conferences and meetings.
Personal Characteristics and Work Style
- Collaborative and team-oriented individual who can engage and motivate others in a wide variety of functions across an organization.
- Strong affinity for WFP USA’s mission and program priorities.