Senior Director, External Affairs
Job Location: World Food Program USA – Washington, DC
ABOUT WORLD FOOD PROGRAM USA
World Food Program USA, a nonprofit organization based in Washington, DC, proudly supports the mission of the United Nations World Food Programme by mobilizing American policymakers, businesses and individuals to advance the global movement to end hunger. Our leadership and dedicated teams help to bolster an enduring American legacy of feeding families in need around the world.
World Food Program USA’s values, Collaborative, Accountable, Respectful, Inclusive, and Optimistic, provide the framework for how we behave and work together to reach our goals to feed and save the lives of the most vulnerable people around the world. We are looking for applicants who embody these values and are invested in forwarding our mission.
OVERALL POSITION DESCRIPTION
Reporting to the Chief Marketing Officer, the Senior Director of External Affairs provides leadership around World Food Program USA’s communications activities, including brand communications, creative strategy and campaign development, public and media relations, thought leadership, executive positioning, and celebrity, influencer, media and brand partnerships.
Working in collaboration with the Chief Marketing Officer and the Senior Director of Marketing, Digital Advertising and Brand, they share accountability for building brand awareness and developing compelling brand experiences, raising the organization’s profile among U.S.-based audiences and pushing the boundaries of creative to shape how people connect with the U.N. World Food Programme and the issue of global hunger.
- Leverage expertise in brand communications, creative strategy, public relations and entertainment/lifestyle connections to deliver best-in-class creative, campaigns and brand partnerships
- Oversee narrative and storytelling, develop creative briefs, work cross functionally and cross departmentally to implement compelling campaigns with high engagement and conversion rates
- Lead the development of an external affairs strategy that allows World Food Program USA to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted external audiences, including media, key influencers, celebrities, and others to advance U.N.
- WFP’s reputation and mission, broaden awareness of U.N. WFP in the U.S. market, and increase public support, understanding and engagement across key stakeholder audiences
- Play a critical role in crisis management, including strategy, message development and tactical execution on sensitive issues. Enable the organization and the team to adapt plans quickly to address new humanitarian emergencies, developing commensurate marketing and communications plans around emergency relief efforts
- Manage the relationship with key stakeholders at WFP headquarters, fostering open collaborative communication and the exchange of initiatives, learnings and performance.
- Develop and monitor key performance indicators (KPIs) and other operational metrics for all communications and external affairs initiatives
- Work across departments to ensure the organization speaks with one voice through synchronized messaging, campaigns and strategies
- Provide leadership, direction and professional development to a team of highly skilled communications staff. Mentor, coach and develop the team, guiding the development of individual team members and working to position the team for success both internally and externally
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant field required (i.e. marketing, communications, international affairs, or related field)
- 10+ years experience managing comprehensive brand communications, creative strategy and external affairs programs with demonstrated success in all or most of the functional areas.
- Must have at least 4 years in a leadership or supervisory role in communications
- Experience in a nonprofit environment
- Superb storytelling capabilities, with deep familiarity of public and media relations, creative strategy, brand and entertainment communications.
- A big-picture thinker with demonstrated success in developing creative briefs, executing innovative strategies to strengthen nonprofit brand and reputation and campaigns that result in significant conversion from engagement to donation.
- Demonstrated success formulating and leading strategic engagements with external stakeholders.
- A talented communicator with exceptional writing/editing, verbal communication and presentation skill sets. A background in editorial and creative strategy and management.
- Ability to work independently without close oversight, while being a strong team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside WFP USA.
- Strong affinity for WFP USA’s mission and program priorities.
- The ideal candidate will thrive in a high-energy, hands-on, fast-paced and entrepreneurial organization as part of a collaborative and cross-matrixed team.