Senior Director, Foundation Relations
World Food Program USA, a nonprofit organization based in Washington, DC, proudly supports the mission of the United Nations World Food Programme by mobilizing American policymakers, businesses and individuals to advance the global movement to end hunger. Our leadership and support help to bolster an enduring American legacy of feeding families in need around the world.
World Food Program USA’s values, Collaborative, Accountable, Respectful, Inclusive, and Optimistic, provide the framework for how we behave and work together to reach our goals to feed and save the lives of the most vulnerable people around the world.
OVERALL POSITION DESCRIPTION:
The Senior Director of Foundation Partnerships will play a crucial role in implementing the WFP USA Foundations Strategy and accompanying Workplan to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward private foundations. This position is instrumental in the organization’s goal to grow overall revenue to $100M over the next five years. The successful candidate will lead a team tasked with securing new sources of institutional support while maintaining strong relationships with our current portfolio of foundation partners. Serving as a member of the Development Leadership Team and reporting to WFP USA’s Chief Philanthropy Officer, this position will continue to grow our foundation program, creating exciting, engaging, and thoughtful opportunities for foundation funding and engagement.
- Build relationships with institutional foundations to garner broad support for the mission of the World Food Programme
- Align opportunities with funding needs set forth by WFP USA leadership in collaboration with field leadership
- Meet and exceed foundation giving goals
- Develop unique engagement opportunities, proposals, and events to upgrade, retain and attract new foundation partners, including thought leadership opportunities in the programmatic areas covered by the U.N. World Food Programme
- Manage relationships with a portfolio of current and prospective foundations through all phases of the donor pipeline, including cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship
- Develop a data-driven prospecting methodology that identifies institutional prospects whose giving priorities align with our current programming needs
- Serve as a Member of the Development Leadership Team and coordinate closely with other Senior Directors on vision and alignment of workflows and processes to further the WFP USA Development Goals.
- Manage a team of staff working with institutional foundations, faith-based organizations, and nonprofits
- Enlist Senior Leadership Team and Board of Directors where appropriate
- Respond and participate to any other cross-departmental management functions such as serving on the Management Council
The successful Senior Director of Foundation Partnerships will be committed to WFP USA’s mission, values, programs and goals.
- Minimum of 12 years’ experience executing successful foundation partnerships
- Prior work experience managing multi-million-dollar projects with large foundations
- Prior work experience leading a team of foundation relations professionals
- Experience with UN agencies and working in matrix management structures a plus
- Experience working on equity and inclusion issues in multicultural organizations is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree required and Master’s degree a plus
Knowledge and Experience
- Strong familiarity with the practices and techniques of foundation giving
- Familiarity with Salesforce or other CRM.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong editorial skills and a proof-reader’s eye for detail.
- Demonstrated ability to manage workflow processes & schedules.
- Ability to coordinate input from multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Experience with Microsoft Office with significant knowledge of Excel and Access.
- Occasional travel to conferences and meetings.
- Strongly connects with WFP USA’s organizational values and is keen to serve as an example to others of living those values.
- Collaborative and team-oriented individual who can engage and motivate others in a wide variety of functions across an organization.
- Strong affinity for WFP USA’s mission and program priorities.
- The ideal candidate will thrive in a high-energy, hands-on, fast-paced and entrepreneurial organization as part of a collaborative and cross-matrixed team.
- Possess a high degree of initiative, creativity, and urgency to find foundations that want to align their strategic goals to support the work of the World Food Programme