Families need urgent help right now.
Senior Manager, Communications and Public Relations
Senior Director, Marketing and Communications
OVERALL POSITION DESCRIPTION
We are offering an amazing opportunity for a creative and connected, strategically minded, media-savvy Senior Manager, Communications and Public Relations to join our Marketing and Communications team in Washington, DC. The Senior Manager, Communications and Public Relations reports to the Senior Director of Marketing and Communications and plays a critical role in crafting and executing impactful U.S. communications and public relations strategies that increase brand awareness and help WFP USA attract and engage new audiences. As a skilled communications planner and strategist, the successful candidate will have a passion for humanitarian issues, a proven track record in securing general audience and trade media coverage, previous effective work in building and implementing an influencer/ambassador program, and experience developing and managing public events.
Final candidates will be asked to complete a strategic writing exercise.
- Develop, implement and roll out a comprehensive strategic communications and public relations plan to promote a strong public image of WFP to external U.S. market audiences, including an influencer program, public speaking engagements, and other thought leadership activities.
- Identify and develop PR-worthy content opportunities, pitch angles and creative story ideas and secure placements in appropriate media. Works collaboratively with the UN WFP global PR/communications team to help maximize opportunities and ensure consistency of messaging.
- Grow, manage and implement a burgeoning influencer/ambassador program through the recruitment of micro, macro, or mega influencers and personalities, with assistance from external agencies and specialized software.
- Build, manage and maintain relationships with a wide range of influencers, talent and partners with a goal to constantly gain exposure and increase awareness of the WFP brand in the U.S.
- Identify, recommend and execute sponsorship, partnership and product collaboration opportunities in the entertainment space including, musicians, actors/actresses, artists, gaming, local/regional influencers, social media influencers and events/festivals.
- Manage special projects and or events for UN WFP in the U.S.
- Provide direction to and contribute to the oversight of outside PR agencies.
- Help monitor, analyze, and merchandise influencer and PR KPI’s, including but not limited to impressions, engagement, sentiment, earned media value, video views, and share of voice.
- Oversee and or perform the writing, editing, production, and dissemination of communications including, press releases, op-ed pieces, influencer content, and promotional materials.
QUALIFICATIONS AND DESIRED EXPERIENCE
- 8-10 years of relevant work experience with demonstrated success in all or most of the functional areas (i.e. external affairs, media outreach, strategic development, social media, communications, influencer relations)
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (i.e. journalism, communications, international affairs, or related field)
- Supervisory experience a must
- Ability to work independently without close oversight, while being a strong team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside WFP USA
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects at the same time, managing a heavy workload
- Strategic thinker and planner; strong project management skills; highly organized and detail-oriented; flawless writing and proofreading skills.
- Exceptional writing, verbal communication and presentation skill sets.
- Impeccable integrity, judgment, and discretion along with a professional demeanor and interpersonal style that elicits trust from leadership, funders, staff, and partners. Must be a proficient and diplomatic communicator.
- Proven success in developing mutually beneficial relationships with internal and external partners.
- Ability to work as a team member and work effectively with diverse people.
- Interest in humanitarian assistance, international development or global hunger.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls or agencies, please.
World Food Program USA is a nonprofit organization that builds support in the United States to end global hunger. WFP USA engages individuals and organizations, shapes public policy and generates resources for the United Nations World Food Programme and other hunger relief operations.
WFP USA is an equal opportunity employer.