- Ekta Adhikari (28) from Nepal, whose duty station was Addis Ababa
- Maria Pilar Buzzetti (30) from Italy, duty station Rome
- Virginia Chimenti (26) from Italy, duty station Rome
- Harina Hafitz (59) from Indonesia, duty station Rome
- Zhen-Zhen Huang (46) from China, duty station Rome
- Michael Ryan (39) from Ireland, duty station Rome
- Djordje Vdovic (53) from Serbia, duty station Bangkok, on assignment to Rome
The United Nations Secretary General called me to express his solidarity and support for the WFP family, and I want to thank him and all of the others around the world for their expressions of condolences.
As we mourn, let us reflect that each of these WFP colleagues were willing to travel and work far from their homes and loved ones to help make the world a better place to live. That was their calling, as it is for the rest of the WFP family.
We also mourn the loss of our colleagues at other United Nations agencies who died today, and we ask that everyone keep those who lost loved ones in their thoughts and prayers.
The United Nations World Food Programme save lives in emergencies and changes lives for millions through sustainable development. WFP works in more than 80 countries around the world, feeding people caught in conflict and disasters, and laying the foundations for a better future. Receive updates on Twitter @wfp_media.
For more information please contact (email address: email@example.com):
Peter Smerdon, WFP/East Africa, Tel: +254 20 762 2179, Mob. +254 707 722 104
Gregory Barrow, WFP/Rome, Mob. +39 342 807 9718