Accounts Payable Associate
Job Location: World Food Program USA – Washington, DC
Remote Type: Hybrid in Washington, DC
Position Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $65,000 – $70,000 /year
The Accounts Payable Associate will be responsible for the day to day processing of accounts payable transactions while maintaining accurate and complete records and ensuring compliance with financial policies and controls. The employee will be integrally involved in the organization’s financial processes and work closely with our colleagues across all departments in support of our mission and values.
The Accounts Payable Associate, under the direction of the Director of Accounting, will be responsible for task related to accounts payable including process and pay weekly invoices and staff reimbursements, prepare reconciliation and trackers related to month-end close, setup and maintain vendors including preparing the annual 1099.
The Accounts Payable Associate will help ensure WFP USA staff adhere to documented policies and procedures and supports effective program implementation and an efficient audit and annual Form 990 process.
About World Food Program USA
World Food Program USAs values provide the framework for how we behave and work together to reach our goals to feed and save the lives of the most vulnerable people around the world. Those values are:
Collaborative: We are all one team
Accountable: We own our work
Respectful: We are kind to each other
Inclusive: We champion diversity
Optimistic: We have a make it happen attitude
We are looking for applicants who embody these values and are invested in forwarding our mission.
Why Join Us?
- We are a dynamic, forward leaning, financially stable organization.
- You will be joining an effective, committed, high-performing group of colleagues who are well-regarded in the community.
- This position will play a crucial role in aiding the organization in their mission of ending global hunger
- Processes accounts payable timely, accurately, and according to established policies and procedures, verifying proper approvals and supporting documentation is submitted for each invoice/expense report and resolving any discrepancies with vendors and staff.
- Train staff on using Concur, our travel and expense management system, including offering feedback on proper coding and documentation of expenses. Reconciles Concur and Atlas travel activities for corporate credit cards and oversees the approval process and sync with accounting software, Sage.
- Maintains accurate vendor and staff data in the expense reporting system and general ledger.
- Maintains annual 1099 vendor reconciliation and prepares annual 1099 forms.
- Performs month end close reconciliations such as pre-paid expenses and bank statements.
- Provides outstanding and timely customer support and collaborates with stakeholders, as necessary.
- Implements internal control policies and procedures as directed; reviews procedures periodically with the Finance team to ensure effectiveness.
- Prepares documents for annual audits as well as any compliance requirements relevant to the above duties, as necessary and assigned.
- Assists with special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or 5+ years accounts payable experience.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience in a large non-profit with a focus on philanthropy is preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft 365 and must have strong Excel skills.
- Strong understanding of the financial statements and the impact of the monthly tasks on the trail balance.
- Advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software is preferred. (Salesforce, Concur, and Sage).
- Keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, with the ability to translate complex financial information to non-financial users.